Thursday, April 24, 2008

my spare time?

Most of you who know me well, know that I have a VERY hard time allowing myself to be creative on a regular basis for my sanity, unless I have ALL my other responsibilities completed. So naturally, I never do anything "I" want FOR MYSELF ONLY. I only make thing when I HAVE to do it for a gift, a request, or I have a deadline for a boutique.

For some reason, maybe it's just the mounting stress in my life, but I said "to HECK with it all!" I needed to do something creative JUST for myself! I busted out my lampwork kit I bought nearly 5 YEARS AGO and have never touched, and I am teaching myself to make beads.

No, these are not my beads, a sweet friend bought them for me before she left China to move back to the states. They inspired me, as well as this lampwork artist's blog, SO beautiful!

I have checked out every book on glass lampwork in the library, watched every instructional video on YouTube. And the following are the results so far. It's A LOT harder than it looks! These beads are not impressive, but it's a start. I keep burning the glass, so they come out really dark. I will keep trying. :)

3 best so far. I think I need to take a class or something. Like I have time for that. I have made these beads over the past week, doing just a few a day, since they take 10-20 mins each. I go in spurts, one at a time. Well, at least it's working my creative side. When I get some good ones made, I will make something with them and post it on my art blog. I'll let you know how it goes.

3 comments:

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

oh my gosh, I love the beads in the first picture and the ones you made are SO CUTE!! I can't believe how creative you are. i need to develop some talents to share. i'm feeling a lack of talents since selling my business. i need to find something new to make myself feel productive.

Aurie Jenkins said...

the beads are beautiful. You are so talented and have so much patience for that sort of thing. I think I have made like 5 or 6 book marks besides the 150 I made for relief society, man those burnt me out. I dont know how you do it.

Stephanie Kelly said...

wow...I love those they are so pretty. I totally know what you mean when it comes to pushing yourself to be more creative. I too am the same way.. I swear I need to start painting, but I find that the only time I do is when I have to, for a comission or something. I never do it for fun anymore and I need to. That is my goal for this whole summer...I am gunna paint paint paint! :)