Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Angel Mother

My mom came this last month, for 2 1/2 weeks, to help me out. She is a LIFE-SAVER! I just wish I had taken more pictures of all the stuff we did. The last day before she left, I finally got a few pictures of her with the kids, and the results of the incredible organizational genius that she is.

This is the closet nook where we had a very small and non-functioning computer desk for Bill's office. My mother and I made this built-in to replace the little desk, (which is now in the playroom for the kid's computer). We had Home Depot cut all the wood and trim, then I stained/lacquered all the wood, and it gives us WAY more space than before. Bill just has to organize the shelves and we are good to go! Sorry, I did not take ANY "before" pictures, of anything. :( Just take my word for it, this area has been a constant unorganized office mess, this looks TONS better!
Now my art room was beyond comprehension. Very few people saw what state it was in before my mother came. You could hardly walk in it. It went from being a beautiful studio room, to storage clutter where you could hardly find a place to walk. I felt like having an anxiety attack every time I opened the door. It was bad..... VERY bad. I'm so ashamed. :(

But my mother went in, and helped me tackle that room. She really is amazing with organization. I picked up some of her gift, but not even close to her talents. Here she is, the last day before she left, finishing up some sorting.

Ta-dah! The final result.................
Some of you may notice all those cool and funky storage boxes I was using before are now missing. They looked "artsy", but I have found they are not NEARLY as functional as clear plastic bins labeled neatly and easy to see what is inside. For a space that will be used by children as well as myself, this works SO much better than the "trendy" look of using vintage boxes and containers.

I miss my boxes though, and they will find a more useful place to rest soon. :)
Everything is labeled and has a place. Now the kids have no excuse, but to put things back where they belong. (myself included)

THANK YOU MOM!!!! You have helped me more than I can say!!! I love you!

*And thank you Dad!!! You supported her being gone for 2 1/2 weeks, thank you, thank you!!! XOXO

6 comments:

Jamie and Family said...

WOW. That is some major work!!! I always think it is easier to organize other people's "stuff" than my own. But your mom ALSO organizes her OWN stuff in an amazing way!

jamiegilson said...

Wow! Can I borrow her too.=)

Anna said...

i'm so jealous! i have like...a love affair with bins...they are so wonderful :)

Vagabond Mother said...

How great is your mom?!?! Not only does that sound so helpful, it also sounds like a lot of fun. Everything looks so nice, Tara!

Jessica the Jacked LDS said...

she's like a portable container store...will she come here??

Staci said...

she is so cute it looks great!