Mother's day this year was pretty low-key. Both Bill and I are coming down with the flu, so Enos and Lindsay came over after church and cooked our dinner for us. I LOVE that they live 10 mins away now!
I pondered motherhood yesterday and how I feel about it now. I always worry, most of you know this about me, and I over-analyze situations and beat myself up for mistakes I make as a mother. But the greatest "gifts" I received for mother's day were the acknowledgment of "little things" that mean so much to my kids. I always treasure their handmade gifts, but this year there were words involved. Somehow, I found them to be the greatest little treasures. Seeing myself through my children's perspective IS a blessing. One thing for sure, my kids are aware that I am scatter-brained, but other than that, they really do not dwell on the mistakes I think are so huge.
I am just going to type what they wrote, since it's easier than getting up out of the sick bed and scanning them. :)
This is a cute little questionnaire Josh filled out about me........
I know my mom
My mom is 10 feet tall.
My mom is 20 years old.
My mom came from Las Vegas.
My mom's favorite thing to say is do your work.
My mom's favorite thing to do is take care of my baby brother.
My mom's favorite thing to eat is Chocolate.
My mom's favorite thing to make for dinner is soup.
My mom's favorite color is all the colors of the world.
I love Mom!
I think it's sweet that the last time I made soup was with Josh, (stone soup), over a year ago. I guess it meant a lot to him. :)
Jade made a placemat for me, and along with all her beautiful drawings, she wrote some things down as well......
The most important thing about my mom is that she's ARTISTIC.
She doodles on a piece of paper when she talks on the phone.
She makes glass beads and pottery.
She makes dinner.
She helps me with my problems.
(I can make an even longer list of things you do!)
It's true that you sometimes screw up dinner. :)
But the most important thing about my mom is that I LOVE YOU!
You Rock!
It is wonderful to see what stands out in a childs mind, what they value enough to write about. I am so grateful for the blessing of being a mother and being a part of these children's lives.
I am SO SO grateful beyond words for the example my own mother and grandmothers have given me. God knows exactly where we need to be placed, when and why. I can't imagine having a more perfectly matched mother for myself, she continues to be a guiding rod in my journey through motherhood.
I love you mom! You have been instrumental in my development as a woman and mother, and continue to be (nearly every day :). Thank you!
Monday, May 12, 2008
Mother's Day......
Posted by
Tara
at
10:54 AM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


7 comments:
oh my goodness that is soo cute. I love josh's answers..and of course it's all true. You are an awesome mom.
you're such a great mother! i love hearing what kids think their mothers weigh or their height or what their favorite thing to do is. a child's perspective says so much!
I'm sorry you and Bill are feeling sick! I love what the kids wrote for you.
It was so cool to see your house- it's gorgeous. What a great home you've made for your family.
Thank you daughter! My cup runneth over.
That was so sweet, there are tears. You are awesome Tara and I'm so glad you shared those precious words of wisdom. Kids are wonderful.
I'm so happy you had a good Mother's Day. I'm sorry you weren't feeling well. Hopefully you'll get over it soon!! Happy Mother's Day!!
Loved those notes so much!!!! How incredibly priceless and, like you said, give you a glimpse into their perspective.
I feel so hard on myself as a mother, so often. But I often reflect on how much I don't care one bit about my mother's flaws and I always hate when she points them out....and I try to remember how much the kids love me - with all my flaws included!
Post a Comment